Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Kingfisher Lodge ~ Part One

The following was written over the last three days. It might be confusing, or not. It begins like this…

We are here. This is now the second morning that I am sitting on the veranda in the dark outside the office of Kingfisher Lodge. It is 4:50am and I am having coffee and listening to the sounds of rainforest creatures that I cannot identify, but I love. I just love this place.

Within an hour of arriving here Monday mid-morning, I beheld a Papuan Frogmouth (I have now seen two others) the first night I marveled at two Lesser Sooty Owls. And then there was Bridled Honeyeater, Grey-headed Robin and Spotted Catbird all in the first afternoon and evening.       
Papuan Frogmouth... Old Red Eyes
Two!
Yesterday produced other wonders in the gorgeous Barred Cuckoo-shrike, Yellow-breasted Boatbill and the surprisingly beautiful Squatter Pigeon. But the biggest thrill occurred in mere seconds yesterday evening.
           
Barred Cuckoo-shrike 
Yellow-breasted Boatbill (backlit and blurry- alliteration photo) 
My favorite pigeon de jour... Squatter Pigeon.         
I first heard of Kingfisher Lodge when I read Sean Dooley’s book, The Big Twitch. This area of far north Queensland is a birders paradise. But although this lodge is named for the Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher, possibly its most famous bird is the Red-necked Crake. This bird will sometimes come down to a little pool just before dark behind the lodge. You sit very quietly and watch this little pool. We did that the first night until it was stone dark without success. So of course we were back again the next night and at just about 6pm, as four of us sat watching, this wonderful crake ran across the ground just in front of the pool. We all saw it. I have now beheld the Kingfisher Lodge Red-necked Crake. I am so very grateful.

This is now the third morning and yesterday was wondrous. We spent the late morning through mid afternoon hiking up Mt. Lewis with Andrew showing us stuff. He is brilliant and a joy to bird with, and to be able to share this with my girl is phenomenally wonderful. I am so grateful that words fail me. Here are just a few photos from the last few days...
           
Golden Bowerbird "selfie" (Robert took it) The GOBO is just above my head in the back.
Macleay's Honeyeater (I do kind of like this shot)
Spotted Catbird
Lesser Sooty Owl
Tooth-billed Bowerbird
Golden Bowerbird
Chowchilla
Bridled Honeyeater
Mountain Thornbill
There is a bat grabbing moths just above me on the veranda. God, I love this place. I am going to get this posted with a bunch of photos and I will do another blog later in the week. There are more photos that I wish to post but time and internet are limiting. I am so grateful for this experience! I will keep you posted.


Birds. Peace. Love. Earth. Laughter. Music.

1 comment:

Comments Here: